Stuff to know

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Aged Cheese

I really am a blogger. I know it doesn't seem like it but I am.

I have so much rolling around in my head that I NEED to blog- or at least write.

Somewhere or on something.
Otherwise I just talk about it all and then Mr. Rogers glazes over about 2 minutes in.

My main problem is that I live in the land of
"NO TIME"

By the time I have gotten up, done the morning routine, cleaned up both me and the house, headed to preschool , loved and taught some cutie patooties, I have just enough time to run an errand then pick up Forrest, do snack homework and head to one of the 6 Vball games per week we have , then come home throw something together that resembles food , prepare for tomorrow (which if I'm lucky includes brushing my teeth)  read , pray and CRASH!!!

Whew!!  So on my rare day off I am going to Blog, I just have to much funny in me not to share.

I will ignore the dirt under my feet, the sour smell from the kitchen and the mound of laundry on the couch!!!

I don't teach on Tuesdays , but I am always thinking of the next project for school.

We are now approaching grandparents day,

A day I personally feel was invented by Hallmark to once again drain us of our money at $5.00 a card, but hey that's just me.

It is not that I don't think grandparents (and especially my kid's grandparents ) don't deserve to be recognized
I'm just more of a "love 'em well the other 364 days a year " kinda gal.

But none the less-- it is grandparents day on
 Sunday September 11th.
And to be honest I would rather think about our grandparents on Sept 11th
than watch anything on CNN.

So at school we are going to honor our grandparents with a breakfast and gifts.

The gift we are making is a place mat with a hand print tree trunk and thumbprint leaves.

Cute.
Cheesy ,but cute.

To be honest the one in the book looks,,,umm,,
well how can I put this,,.
L-A-M-E.

So as usual I feel the need to spice it up a bit!!!

Now I am a teacher who believes in process over product.

I want my kids to do the craft,
 I don't care if the eyes are in the wrong place
If that is where your child wants to put them
Go for it
You will not be receiving any teacher made products out of my classroom.

So staying true to my standards I know  it needs to be jazzed up a bit ,
 but I will not be adding to the art process.  
But I reserve the right to add a title, phrase or poem 
that will inevitably melt the heart of the receiver.

I check out grandparent quotes online at the quote garden  and come up with some great ones:

If nothing is going well, call your grandmother. ~Italian Proverb

Do you know why grandchildren are always so full of energy? They suck it out of their grandparents. ~Gene Perret

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

These are all way to sweet!!!


cute I like these , but then I stumble on to a few sarcastic ones (I cant resist sarcasm)



On the seventh day God rested. His grandchildren must have been out of town. ~Gene Perret
I personally know my mother likes this one!!! we wear her out

To become a grandparent is to enjoy one of the few pleasures in life for which the consequences have already been paid.  ~Robert Brault

and this little gem:

The reason grandchildren and grandparents get along so well is that they have a common enemy. ~Sam Levenson

Oh my goodness.
 I know my mama and my oldest have conspired against me on more than one occasion.

Truly being a grandparent has got to be all of the cool and none of the rule!!!!

Hmmm.
 I wonder if I could use that?  

Anyway I did think of a few of my own that I'm sure just wouldn't make the cut:

For instance:
 The nut doesn't fall far from the family tree.  (hey it is a hand print tree-just sayin')
or
Oh I see where he/she gets that _______________(fill in the blank with your favorite (not) trait of the child.

Okay  just joking  .
 I love my critters that I teach, but you gotta have a sense of humour about ti all .
Otherwise you will go crazy when you tell child A not to lick child B for the 70th time that day.

Here is one that I will cross stitch and hang on my wall the day one of my girls has a child:
(okay maybe not cross stitch but I print it in pretty font and frame it)

It's such a grand thing to be a mother of a mother - that's why the world calls her grandmother. ~Author Unknown

Oh my gosh!!!  Pass the tissue!!!
Oh my  .. just give Me a minute here to collect myself. ...
*sigh* 
deep breathe
nostalgic moment....

okay I'm good.

So after much searching and seeking I believe I have found the perfect accompaniment for the place mats.
In fact I think it will get center stage, without taking an ounce of "process" out of the kids handiwork.

"One generation will praise Your works to another."  Psalms 145:4

How just like the word of God to turn cheesy into cherished.































1 comment: