Stuff to know

Friday, October 11, 2013

Tools of the Trade

As many know my family and I volunteer with a non profit that provides clean water to people in rural Tanzania. Both my older girls have been to Tanzania twice
. As it just so happens I work at a drilling company .
 Now we were into the giving of wells long before I ever got this job.
 And I am basically a paper pusher here , 
so its not like I'm  learning to drill or 
getting this company to drill in Africa.
(But I'm working my plan)

But this post is not about any of that but rather the daily dose of what I get by working at a place of industry.
And it is an ear opener and a eye poper.

.

Prepare for laughter and a touch of offense


 I sometimes think my company is its a covert operation for something else.  As I am going through the invoices and purchases orders I see things like "3 in brass nipples", "5 in female couplers" and  "dope was left".  Hmmmm......

I'm not an engineer  so I don't know the lingo- go it.  But the day I walked to the mail box and retrieved a drilling magazine titles "Deep Hole Driller" I really just had to laugh-
Really?  They couldn't think of a more politically correct name?

After awhile I started paying attention to the roughnecks when they turned in payroll and talked logistics with the boss.   

WOW

 here are a few lines I have over heard:

"I'm going to need the strippers ASAP on tomorrows platform."

"Use the 1 inch black nipples they cover better"

" Video tape the site and see if the female couplers are leaking"

Now I know a little bit about home improvement and know they describe male/female when something locks together, but I really didn't know the extend of the debauchery.  Here are just a few names used in drilling, electrical and other industries:

butt splicer 
whole spreader
blow off preventer
grippers
suction                                             
socket wrench
windlass
pike pole
wench
slip joint
male reducers
probe
dykes
just to name a few 
and of course the obvious screw, screwdriver and cockpit.

What I am convinced of ,after learning all the terms used in industry, is that the world was indeed established by men . 
Hence all the names and references that they can remember.

And I thought Miley was in the  skank business...

This is some dirty business

Excuse me  I need to shower now.





No comments:

Post a Comment